Monday, 18 January 2016

Real Tips for Approaching Deadlines and Exams

So I felt a tad guilty about my last post being a joke to revising or approaching deadlines so I thought I would actually share with you tips and what I do when approaching an exam. Again - no fancy photos! Let's be real there's nothing fancy about doing an essay or revising for an exam. But hope this helps for you in university or college who are struggling. I am in my final year and soon to approach a dissertation (and I've done one before so I know what to expect) so I get it - I really do! 



DEADLINES:

Plan your time - I cannot stress this enough. To anyone starting university, or have a set amount of days or hours until a deadline - planning your time is so vital. I have a month planner with deadlines clearly written with information on where I should have a draft done. I never use to do essay plans - but I'm learning I have to. Then I will do a checklist of what I need to get done that day. There seems to be something extremely satisfying when you tick a box! I aim to get my essay done for 4/5 days remaining from the deadline. That way it gives enough time to review what you have written and spot mistakes. It also gives you time to breathe and make sure there is nothing you have forgotten. 

Take regular breaks: Everyone works differently so however often you need to take breaks do it. HOWEVER, when you continue close all those tabs of social media, put your phone out of reach from you and try to remove any distraction. I try to take a break every 20/30 minutes for 5 minutes. Then I don't feel too out of touch from people. But if you're on a roll keep going! 

Walk or do star jumps: Do something on your break even if it's pacing. (I hate people who pace!) Just get yourself moving, you don't want to give yourself back or neck pain from being stuck in the same position for too long.

Find a quiet area: This is vital in my opinion. I don't study in my room - I just can't do it, I need to separate the place I study to where I relax. I know it's hard but try find somewhere else. If you can't go to your local or university library. Guaranteed it will be quiet and you should be less distracted by your surroundings which will hopefully motivate you. 

Snacks and water! I get really peckish when I'm studying  - I think it's because I forget how long I have been studying for. I am guilty of having chocolate by me but try balance it with fruit so I don't get too hungry. Water is a must too - staring at a laptop for a long period of time is likely to give you a headache so make sure you are hydrated. 

EXAMS:
Find out the main topics you have to study: And break them down into sections. When I was in my first year I used to be overwhelmed trying to learn everything in one go. Now I try do a section or area a day or for a few hours. I find this makes it so much easier to remember. 

Make main notes: I never use to use memory cards but now I find they are a savior. Just writing main points on them and reading them through on my way to the exam helps a lot. It doesn't feel so cluttered then. Also having a quick glance before I go into the exam area makes a difference. 

Don't worry it's only an exam: Yes it's important - but you can do it. As someone who suffers from anxiety exams are never fun. But I feel that if I tell myself it's okay, I can only do my best etc it helps.

Make sure you read the questions properly: I done this mistake recently, I read the question completely wrong. So that was time lost in an exam I really could have avoided. Scribble on the questions - make a small plan for your answer. Whatever works!


On that point I wish you all luck with your assignments/deadlines/exams! Hope everything goes well and you get what you want. But whatever you do don't put yourself down - you can only do your best which is enough! You've done amazing to get where you are.

Also stop procrastinating and go do your work, go on.  

Hana ♥ 
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Some really useful tips! I'm in second year at university and do find it hard to manage all my time with societies etc... But got some good tips here :) Good luck with your dissertation!

    Annabel ♥
    http://annabelreid13.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annabel,
      glad you've found it useful! The managing of the societies and uni work can be hard - but all in balance. Don't forget to enjoy yourself whatever you do :) my second year was by far my favourite. Thanks lovely!
      Thanks for reading :)

      Hana ♥

      Delete
  2. A healthy schedule to keep the focus without going crazy! Great tips Hana! Baci, Valeria - Coco et La vie en rose fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! Thanks for reading love :)


      Hana ♥

      Delete
  3. I think taking breaks is really important as i tend to work so much that i don't even remember too look after myself!

    lovely post,
    www.ZyaandDaizy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guilty of doing this too! But have to set reminders on my phone sometimes just so I don't hurt my eyes or head by being attached to a screen for too long. Thanks for reading :)


      Hana ♥

      Delete
  4. Loved your tips! I agree on breaks, they're vital ;) xx
    Gyudy @ Gyudy's Notes Of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! Sometimes helps you see things you didn't originally or focus better. Thanks for reading :)

      Hana ♥

      Delete
  5. Really great post, I love student/study related tips. Breaks and water are very important! I sometimes set a 25 minute timer on my phone, do the work until the timer goes off and then walk about for 5 minutes before starting again xx

    Stacey
    http://stcy88.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stacey, really glad you enjoyed it! Sounds a smart idea about the 25 minute timer :) definitely do not get active enough when I'm studying!

      Thanks for reading :)

      Hana ♥

      Delete

© HanaRosella. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig